We have a client who uses Unleashed Software for inventory management and invoicing. It integrates with Xero. They called us today to say that their company logo was appearing on some but not all of their computers, which are a mix of Macs & PCs in different locations & countries.
Wary of the old ‘Quicktime & Myob’ trick, that was the first thing we asked them. The second thing we asked gave us the answer though – in the instances where the logo was not showing up, they were using Google Chrome to access the system. Once they launched Internet Explorer instead, the logo appeared fine.
I can’t find anything on their public website that lists support browsers or versions, but I have contacted their twitter account to ask them about this. The moral of the story is ‘If in doubt, try IE!”